Unreal 5- creature assets go invisable when moving.

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
furrfire

Unreal 5- creature assets go invisable when moving.

Post by furrfire » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:09 am

Hi Chong-
Recently we've decided to port our unreal 4 project to unreal 5. Everything worked well except for this 1 weird issue we are having.

In unreal 5- the creature mesh when the actor it's attached to is moved, the material goes mostly transparent. The material being used for creatures is masked and yet somehow it displays almost invisible and see through. When the creature meshes are stationary, they animate and look fine. It only happens when they move (like a character moving around the world).

My coder has no idea why this is happening and has tried lots of things to fix it or at least figure out why it's happening, if it's something on epic's side to fix in unreal engine or maybe something that needs fixing on creature's side remains unknown. Even tried making a brand new unreal 5 project and bringing in just 1 creature file to test, still wouldn't work, basically making creature animation unusable in unreal 5.

furrfire

Re: Unreal 5- creature assets go invisable when moving.

Post by furrfire » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:40 pm

Again I just want to be crystal clear on this-

Creature files ANIMATE okay in unreal 5... Like trees blowing in wind and such, or a character standing idle.
It's only MOVING about the world that it breaks, and the mesh goes transparent.

It's a very weird problem that is driving my coder crazy trying lots of things to figure out why this is even happening. :D

chong

Post by chong » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:52 pm

That's really strange, will investigate. If you look at the implementation it's just using UE5's standard mesh rendering. Could it be something that is different in their new renderer? Weird...

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 pm

My coder wanted me to ask you- if you were able to reproduce the bug on your end?

chong

Post by chong » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:00 am

I am looking at the rendering code but so far no clues... I wonder if you posted this on the UE forums if we could get some clues on it.

Thanks

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:16 pm

Okay.
I made a post about this over on unreal in the rendering forum-
https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/creat ... ace/663072

Here's to hoping we get to the bottom of this mystery. ;)

chong

Post by chong » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:18 am

Hello,

Thanks for the post. Please also provide a link to my Github:
https://github.com/kestrelm/Creature_UE4

So they can check out the reference code.

Thanks!

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:06 pm

Good idea!
I got it posted there now- also made a new post before that one as we discovered something today. Maybe it can give some clues.

Currently we are preparing a new test project to show exactly what happens, and testing out other things now. With the combined might of 3 teams may this behemoth of a bug be squashed! :D

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:56 pm

On that thread in unreal- I posted a gif of what happens in new test project on UE5. Hopefully this makes it clear to everyone that something isn't working right. This transparency effect did not happen in unreal 4.

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 pm

Today my coder has solved the issue.
This fix at least works in 5.1 beta 2 (it might work in 5.1 beta 1- was unable to test)
My coder says to tell you to add an #include statement in two files or it won't compile.

Add
#include "EditorStyleSet.h"
to the following files in the source code for creature-

CreatureAnimStateMachineEditor.cpp
CreatureAnimStoreEditor.cpp

This allows it to compile for unreal 5.1- and the weird transparency issue is fixed in this version, so with this I am happy to say that creature works with unreal 5.1 (and hopefully newer going forward lol). :lol: