Question about Character map options.

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
ravenlegend

Question about Character map options.

Post by ravenlegend » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi, I learned how to use Spriter and Construct 2, but Im looking t move up into something more powerful like this and UE4, My question is are there any options with Creature to do Character maps like Spriter has. Basically, you can make a Naked Dummy and make different load outs to load clothing or armor or weapons on the original model. This is imperative for the project I am working on as it makes adding additional costumes, monsters, and or effects easier to implement. I really like the Weight system in creature which is something spriter doesnt have.

Example of what Im talking about:
Fully set up Model walk cycle
http://imgur.com/a/e5hbO

Same File with Character map that removes clothing parts for alternate attire possibilites
http://imgur.com/a/nPg6Z

The fact that spriter can only animate single images, having to break up the model into so many parts really cuts down the level of detail one can achieve when it comes to design.

chong

Re: Question about Character map options.

Post by chong » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Hello,

So Creature supports sprite swapping ( you can swap in images directly onto your meshes, but make sure you author the base swapped region mesh as a rectangular mesh block for easier swapping of different shapes ), enabling you to accomplish some of what you want in the examples provided.

As for a full on item swapping system, that is not currently a feature of the animation system yet.
I will need to look into it and investigate how feasible it is to get something like it working formally in the animation system.

Having said that, you can still use Creature to animate a lot of things, especially monsters with complex secondary motion ( hair, flesh etc. ) with impressive looking deformations. In the character you posted for example, the hair secondary motion can be very easily animated in Creature using a set of Bend physics motors + rotate cycle motors ( check the tutorials for more info )

Cheers

chong

Post by chong » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Hello,

Good news! Actual Item/Costume swapping functionality will arrive with the next Creature update :) This feature, called Skin Swap, is a new ability for Creature Pro. UE4 and Unity runtimes will also be updated accordingly first. Look forward to updates, tutorials + videos soon.

Cheers

chong

Post by chong » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:40 am

Skin Swap feature for Creature Pro just went live:
https://twitter.com/KestrelmMoon/status ... 2056610816

Tutorials (Videos etc.) will follow. Stay tuned.

Cheers