Creature Pro Feedback

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
chong

Re: Creature Pro Feedback

Post by chong » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Hello,

A new test build with the same download link I sent you earlier is now available.
The update:

- Regular keyboard text input for the dark themed UI textboxes should work now.
- This includes: Left Arrow/Right Arrow Cursor shifting, Home/End Jump Cursor, Shift Right/Left Arrow Text Selection

I will be looking into the possibility of making tab key work to jump focus between textbox elements next.

Cheers

Aldwyns

Post by Aldwyns » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Can confirm that "Left Arrow/Right Arrow Cursor shifting, Home/End Jump Cursor, Shift Right/Left Arrow Text Selection" all works.

My Delete button no longer deletes Mesh, like you fixed yesterday, but seems to be inputting a Space or empty character, instead of actually deleting.
All of the buttons around my Numpad (/, *, -, +) act very oddly, moving the cursor what seems to be half a character left, and then hiding the content of the field altogether.

Also, just for added funny times and interest:
Scroll Lock: m
Pause: 6
Insert: B
Delete: (Space)
Page Up: n
Page Down: o
Ctrl: 4
Alt: 3
Caps Lock: 7
F1: T
F2: U
F3: V
F4: W
F5: X
F6: Y
F7: Z
F8: [
F9: \
F10:]
F11: ^
F12: _

Maybe constraining the fields to only contain integers would be easier? :lol:
Here at home I am using a Steelseries 6GV2 Danish layout, and windows 7 set to Danish input as well, if that helps in any way.

But proper suggestion, maybe Escape should remove your selection of the field?´
And the - button on the Numpad would be great to have working as well, since that's usually where I type numbers.

chong

Post by chong » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 am

Hello,

Yup I will lock it down to numbers. Invalid values will be shown in red. :) Also will be looking into letting you use Arrow keys to move up/down bone selection. ( Sorry but Delete definitely works for me, I have no issues with that one. Will need to do further testing on other keyboards. )

Cheers

Aldwyns

Post by Aldwyns » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 am

A bit of feedback for the Animation mode.
  1. Multiselecting knots in Keys/Knots window, sometimes doesn't finish your selection. If you select some keys, but end with your mouse outside the Creature window, or on the Keys/Knots menu bar (like right next to the zoom icon), it doesn't register if you release your mouse button. Then you have to click the selection again to finish it, before you can copy. This is easy to see, as the buttons on the bar will still be greyed out.
    It works if you release the button inside the Keys/Knots area, or even in the main viewer window, but seemingly nowhere else.
  2. The Spline editor has kind of the same problem, but doesn't work if you release in the main viewer window.
    • In Mode > All, if you make a selection box and release outside the area, then click inside the area of another graph, you still don't remove the selection, but change the size of it instead.

Aldwyns

Post by Aldwyns » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Also, I just got a new favourite error!

While in the background, it seems Creature encountered something:

chong

Post by chong » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Hello,

This is something I will investigate when I get the cycles. Thanks for the very helpful submission. I will see if I can address this for the next update.

Cheers
Aldwyns wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 am
A bit of feedback for the Animation mode.
  1. Multiselecting knots in Keys/Knots window, sometimes doesn't finish your selection. If you select some keys, but end with your mouse outside the Creature window, or on the Keys/Knots menu bar (like right next to the zoom icon), it doesn't register if you release your mouse button. Then you have to click the selection again to finish it, before you can copy. This is easy to see, as the buttons on the bar will still be greyed out.
    It works if you release the button inside the Keys/Knots area, or even in the main viewer window, but seemingly nowhere else.
  2. The Spline editor has kind of the same problem, but doesn't work if you release in the main viewer window.
    • In Mode > All, if you make a selection box and release outside the area, then click inside the area of another graph, you still don't remove the selection, but change the size of it instead.

Aldwyns

Post by Aldwyns » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Hope you have had a nice Easter break Chong!
Time for a new update with issues and suggestions :D

Quality of Life stuff:
  1. In Animate mode, if you click and drag the time slider in the top, and then move the mouse out the the Creature window before releasing the mouse, your cursor still controls the slider when it comes back in. It only stops following when you click somewhere in the top part of the UI.
  2. Allow changing of playback speed in Animate mode. I often end up going to the export window, to see how my animation would look faster or slower.
  3. Would be nice if animation poses were put in a subfolder in the project folder. They can really crowd up a folder!
  4. It would also be nice if the Pose Capture Library window could stay open and still allow you to interact with the rest of Creature. I often use it to copy a pose from one anim to another, and I have to open it, copy the pose, then close it again to change anim, and then open it.
  5. In the Game Engine Export, move the Gap Step up under Scale. I wrongly assumed that Gap Step was a part of "Texture Atlas" and meant "gap" between pictures in the atlas.
  6. I miss an option for pixel padding for the Atlas in Sprite Manager. I sometimes get an overlap even when I leave too few pixels empty in the images.
  7. When you edit a vertex in the Grid Motor, all the vertex light up/get shaded, to let you there is a key. However, it seems to only key the ones you have moved. This is very confusing. I would suggest it only lights up the the ones you have keyed, or it keys all of them.
  8. It would be nice if Edit Motor didn't reset your camera every time you finished the edit. I often do just a tiny edit, and want to see the change with the other motors, but end up having to zoom out and find the place again.
  9. The Animation Clip list sorts all capital letters first, and then all lowercase. So "B.." will come before "a.." :ugeek: Much problem, so wow..
Issues:
  1. Creature crashes if you change the Animation Clip while editing a Grid Motor (didn't check if the same was true with other motors).
  2. I made some poses, after which Creature crashed. Now the Poses are gone from the Pose Capture Library, but the images from it are still left in the folder.
  3. I have problems getting "Copy Values of Selected Motor" to work with my Grid Motors.
    The motors are on mesh that already has a FK motor bone. I try to add a Grid Motor to mesh, duplicate the Animation Clip, change something in the motor and copy it over, but can't get it to work.
    The one time I did get it to work, it didn't copy frame 0, but started at 1.
  4. I really need a Cancel button in the Save dialogue when you close creature. I just today pressed the X in the corner by mistake, and had no wish to close Creature. By instinct I pressed "No", and I ended up closing Creature and not saving, losing some work.
Thanks for the help pointing the issue in our code the other day!

Sincerely
Jon
Last edited by Aldwyns on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aldwyns

Post by Aldwyns » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Also, one of our gamedesigners made you this!

chong

Post by chong » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the list, I am going to be rolling out a new update with a major feature for mesh node execution ( for embedding mesh deformations in parent mesh deformations, very useful for advanced facial animation ). That will be rolled out first since it is a major studio request, then I will take a look at the list your posted :) Great pic and thanks!

Update: I'll at least get you your Cancel button when you close the app for the next update :)

Another Update: I am already addressing quite a few of the issues you noted above for the next update, including issues with mode switching in the Deformation Edit View, correctly sorting Animation Clip names and more .

Cheers