Repack Atlus texture crash

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
furrfire

Repack Atlus texture crash

Post by furrfire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:38 am

I am able to crash creature (no error, just hangs then closes out) 100% of the time- if I have a mesh with 0 triangles, then repack the atlus texture to change the size (going up or down in size).
Drove me crazy trying to figure out 1 particular file would not let me resize, until I noticed an old unused mesh texture and tried deleting it to see if repacking would then work (it did).

Also- is there a trick to making texture repacking better at keeping region names and meshes? I've tried different padding, and that helps, but some meshes just end up on the wrong parts for what they are named.

chong

Re: Repack Atlus texture crash

Post by chong » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the bug report. Yes there should be no meshes with 0 triangles, that is invalid. Will need to take a look into the system to make it ignore meshes with 0 triangles.

In general, it is about the padding and/or mesh ( not texture, but actual grid mesh ) resolutions. If there is enough resolution and/or padding, the system will be able to identify and name the regions correctly.

Update: I just put in the fix for the first case, if there are meshes with 0 triangles, it will now no longer repack but pop up a message dialogue telling you the problem.
If I have the time to patch this in for a quick update I will but it is too disruptive since the code is still in the middle of the major feature update, it will have to come later.

Thanks

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Might be a while for the crash fix? That's okay, I might be one of very few who even ran into this bug. I'm just glad I figured out what was crashing it so I can avoid it going forward.

REPACKING ATLUS---
I did a lot more testing today...

It keeps assigning meshes to the wrong pieces of art no matter what I do. I think of the dozen or so files I've changed- only a couple of them changed without issue.
The files which have issues with mesh assignment have a few piece of art in them which are just color changes, so they have identical sized meshes, perhaps that can confuse it?
Or perhaps-
I didn't use power of 2 in my original atlus sizes, and now I am switching over to that in all my files. Maybe it doesn't like the math I am using in these changes?

Now some of you might ask "WHY DOES THIS ALL MATTER?"

It isn't a problem to re-mesh and rename, that's easy. The real problems this all causes is when you go into rig mode, and your tree stump is now your leaves, and your leaves are now your stump. You have to remove old faulty regions- re-add the correct ones- re-order them in depth- re-bone assign- re-weight- re-size the new regions you add because they won't be at the size of the original stuff you rigged thanks to texture size change- aaaand finally re-assign to the correct skins should you be using any.
I should also note that- hopefully the mesh assignment didn't also slice off part of the art which I have also seen happen- because then it's back into an art program with your atlus.png to fix it.

So having a mesh fail to be re-assigned correctly can add a fair bit of work esp if it happens a lot, which has been my experience. I've begun to call the whole process-TEXTURAL RE-ASSIGNMENT SURGERY :mrgreen:

Not a show stopper- and going forward I should rarely run into these problems now that I am sizing things properly to start with. If it has to wait for fixes\improvements, that's fine with me.
soooooo...
I am very curious what this super-secret-awesome-feature will be. I hope development is going very well. 8-)

chong

Post by chong » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Hello,

So if you are repacking and do colour changes, then yes the mesh names will not be recognized. Right now, it is only able to figure out mesh regions which are unchanged. That can be improved in the future but some investigation will be required.

The major feature dev is underway, sorry but it will take a while as outlined in the previous post. This is a very major feature improvement so patching in fixes to the core application is not ideal at the current moment. If there are any show stopper bugs those will be patched in but for now, development has to continue in order for the feature to be delivered. When there are some video results/screenshots, those will be posted on the twitter or youtube feed.

Thanks

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:44 am

Oh that' isn't quite what I meant by the color changes, I'll try to be more clear---
Let's say on the same atlus you have a red apple and a green apple.

after you mesh them---

You repack the texture atlus to a new size and the meshes get assigned to the wrong pieces of art.

Green apple gets the red apple mesh
Red apple gets a mesh called Texturemesh_0 or something like that.

As I said my green leaves became my tree stump lol.

I've tried all sorts of various padding and different mesh resolutions like you suggested earlier. Nothing I've tried prevents this problem from happening *I should note that smaller creature files with fewer meshes seem to resize correctly more reliably*. Is there something else I am missing?

chong

Post by chong » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:17 am

Hello,

I will need to investigate but chances are the renaming algorithm for the repacking needs to be refined to deal with more cases as you pointed out. This is something I will put in the logs for investigation when I get the cycles. I strongly suspect the renaming algorithm needs to be made smarter to deal with such issues.

Thanks

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:30 am

Okay, sounds good. 8-)

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:01 am

Oh, I finally remembered to post about this- I keep finding a mesh bug.

When sculpting meshes, I will frequently find a floating island of mesh off a ways always to the right and up. Not a major issue, but I hope you find the cause of this bug and squash it someday.

chong

Post by chong » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 am

Hello,

I can look into it but this actually happens if your input texture image is not clean ( if there are some pixels islands that are almost (0,0,0,0) but not really, it will result in mesh formation )

Thanks