Weird Flipping Happening on UE4

Discuss issues pertaining to the various game/web runtimes of Creature here.
tappysparks

Weird Flipping Happening on UE4

Post by tappysparks » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi Chong, I've been having trouble on UE4 after exporting the creature animations as FBX.

As you can see here, the layers for the bodyparts go haywire when flipped to the left. The legs show above the shirt, so does the neck in front of the face, and the shield too :shock: . I suspect it's something to do with the Z-Order but that works with Paper2D only. Any idea what I need to do?

milan.mancel

Re: Weird Flipping Happening on UE4

Post by milan.mancel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Tappysparsk,

What material are you using? Translucent, Masked or Opaque?

If translucent then there is issue with sort order, I described the issue in the Editor thread. It is not Creature issue but UE.

If do you use Masked or other material, try to increase z-order in export from Creature.

Cheers

Milan

chong

Post by chong » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Hello,

If you are flipping the character, I assume you are rotating it by 180 degrees along the axis?
If that is the case then what you get is not unexpected.

Instead of doing that, you can try flipping by scaling the character by -1.0 in the x direction.

Cheers

milan.mancel

Post by milan.mancel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi Chong,

this is great idea, I am rotating character 180 degrees too and I am not sure what the z-order wiil do. So I will also try the -1 scaling :)

thanks

Milan

tappysparks

Post by tappysparks » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:31 am

chong wrote:Hello,

If you are flipping the character, I assume you are rotating it by 180 degrees along the axis?
If that is the case then what you get is not unexpected.

Instead of doing that, you can try flipping by scaling the character by -1.0 in the x direction.

Cheers
Hi Chong,

That sounds good, where can I find that in BP?

I've got this so far, but it isn't flipping. What am I missing?

chong

Post by chong » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:37 am

Hello,

Flipping is just setting a negative scale transform on your character. This the standard UE4 BP way of doing it, you do not have to use the Creature API to do it. Please go to the UE4 Documentation page to learn how to set a regular transform scale on your character.

You just set your character scale 3d's first component to -1 which you seem to be doing. It looks correct but you should debug your BP network to find out. You might be missing something else in the picture but your overall logic is correct.

Cheers

tappysparks

Post by tappysparks » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Thank you so much for the tip, Chong! After asking in the UE4 forums I managed to get the flipping working :D it'll also save so much time without having to deal with Z-ordering

Milan, you might want to take note on my mistake here, it's not get controller that you have to connect the target to, but the mesh component itself!