Character disappears when I makeTransform

Discuss issues pertaining to the various game/web runtimes of Creature here.
sammoh

Character disappears when I makeTransform

Post by sammoh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Hey,

I am working on a hobby game to learn Unreal, so my skill level is 0 but the Creature software is intuitive and reminds me of that old sodaplay website. I have worked out the SetActorLocation blueprint to move the character around, but setting a transform (scale X) makes the character disappear.

I am certain this is an Unreal user issue but I was wondering if someone had a screenshot of a simple scale transform node setup. I am trying to make the character face the direction of the key input (A for left, D for right).

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Thanks for creating software that old people can reckon with.

chong

Re: Character disappears when I makeTransform

Post by chong » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Hello,

So it will depend on what value of scale X you are setting :)
If you want to flip the character, you can try setting X to be -1 or 1 for Scale X and see what happens. This is the standard way to flip Creature UE4 characters which is what everybody does.

If the character disappears after a flipping, it does sound like a UE4 issue. However, I am wondering if it's the material setup. One thing you can try is to make the material 2-sided and give it a go.

Cheers

sammoh

Post by sammoh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks for the reply! I will attempt again. When you say "Scale X", which blueprint node are you referring to? I am using MakeTransform for scaling X to -1.

chong

Post by chong » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:21 pm

On the CreatureMeshComponent, it should have a scale that you can play with. Before running a BP function, simply go into the BP Character viewport and play around with the scale there and see what you get. You will get a much faster preview to see if it works.

Thanks

sammoh

Post by sammoh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Can rotate the character 180 degrees using SetActorRotation, which obviously looks terrible, but any changes made to the other axis culls the animation completely until engine reload. SetActorTransform also causes this behavior. Bounding box issue? Am I accidentally teleporting the character somewhere?

I'm using the same movement logic you have outlined in your dragon tutorial video, for the record. If you have a screenshot of a simple blueprint Left vs. Right movement with scale X I would appreciate it. Been at this for two days trying to get the character to face the other direction.

EDIT: I think I am well on my way to fixing the issue. It still does funky math stuff when I flip the image but this is the method I am using based on my custom scaling parameters of CreatureMesh. Thank you so much for your help!

https://imgur.com/a/aQQSU

chong

Post by chong » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 am

Hello,

No problem :) But just trying to help you a bit more with more reference material. In the CreatureDemos GitHub repository, there is:
https://github.com/kestrelm/CreatureDem ... BattleGame

Which when I just checked simply calls SetActorScale3D with -1 or 1 x values ( depending on which direction the character is facing ):

This is the standard way how to change all character facing(s)/orientation, including the Big Angry Lizard demo.

Cheers