Copy keyframes that exist in other clips

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
the-simian

Copy keyframes that exist in other clips

Post by the-simian » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello! I am relatively new to Creature, and I've been experiencing difficulties with what seems like should be a very easy operation.

I am making sprite maps for a game, I'm not really using the game feature, because I need to do post-processing in a certain way on the frames, so I am doing png-sequences.

The question is that I have created two good animations that I like. In this case its two different sorts of idle-animations, for two different character states. What I want to do is create a third animation that is basically just a transition from the first frame of the first 'stance' to the first frame of the second 'stance'. I plan to do this bi-directionally, for 4 total animations. What is important is that I am still tweaking the two 'stances' so I'd like to, with minimal effort be able to update the other two 'in-between' animations.

These are all straightforward FK animations for these clips, you can assume there are no motors or anything asynchronous

Just so we are clear,
- given animations A and B, I want to
- create C which is A-to-B, with the A keyframes pasted on 1and B keyframes pasted on the final frame
- create D which is B-to-A, with the A keyframes pasted on the last frame and B keyframes pasted on the first frame.

I already am aware I can just copy one or the other and get a duplication of all the keyframes, Ths only gets me halfway, regardless of which one I pick. What I need is to copy from one animation to another, one way or another. What I am currently needing to do is make a copy of A and a copy of B, and then go manually set all the positions on the final frame.

I'm sure this is really basic, but how do you actually Copy/Paste across animations? Is the only available way to handle this by doing one-or-the-other by hand (as in the duplicate animation is basically all we get) ?

I am open to other workflows, such as importing the full animation into another and then doing further editing (such as maybe the ability to composite animations into others? The important thing is that I get the exact keyframes from the other animations, assuming the motors are named the same.

Thank you so much for this great software, and thank you for reading my question.

chong

Re: Copy keyframes that exist in other clips

Post by chong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello,

An update a couple versions ago had the Animation Compositor:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=596

Not sure if this directly addresses your issue but it allows you to construct a new full length animation by compositing various animation clips together. Basically, you enter that mode and you can string together a series of animation clips together into a new merged animation clip. You can give that a go if it helps.

Cheers

the-simian

Post by the-simian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Thank you, I will look into this and see how it works for me, this might be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlZI85HSeRo

Is that the most up-to-date information on it? Again thank you for replying, this is awesome software

chong

Post by chong » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Hello,

Yes it is. The workflow for that tool is pretty straightforward, just a couple of buttons/options to click through.

Cheers

the-simian

Post by the-simian » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 am

Thank you, this thing is amazing!