Unhandled exception need help

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
Enemy64

Unhandled exception need help

Post by Enemy64 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:57 am

Every time I boot up creature I get a error message titled Unhandled exception
I use windows 7 Ultimate any help/advise for this problem would be greatly appreciated.

chong

Re: Unhandled exception need help

Post by chong » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Hello,

I have never encountered that error before. It could either be your graphics card setting/drivers if I am not wrong.

Update:
I just tested it on a Windows 7 box with no issues. Creating, loading and exporting projects all works.

Cheers

Enemy64

Post by Enemy64 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:12 pm

It's most likely that I did have to switch to on board graphics.

Thanks

alejkhan

Post by alejkhan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:22 pm

I'm starting to get unhandled exception errors lately, and the only way to get out of it is to open the task manager and end Creature, the pop up error buttons that ask to ignore/abort/retry don't work. It also caused some of my project files to be corrupted, and I cannot open them any more without causing the unhandled exception instantly. I think it is happening when I export, but I think it has happened at other times, too.

What would have to be changed in my graphics card settings to make it better?

chong

Post by chong » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello,

Can you let me know what are the cases which result in the exceptions?
Also you can upload your project onto dropbox ( the corrupted one ) if you want and send me the link.
I can see what is going on and diagnose the issue.

Thanks

alejkhan

Post by alejkhan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Sent you a PM with a link to the folder.

So, I have noticed the unhandled exception happen when I have an animation open and use post processing to export a movie, then I directly open up a different project and go straight to post processing to export another movie (it happens when I click export). It has also happened once when I had post processing open after having just exported a movie, then went to export to game engine.

chong

Post by chong » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your very useful bug report. I will put that down on the list and investigate.

In the meantime, I have fixed your project. So it got corrupted and saved out incorrect data. However, all is not lost.
Turns out it was just the actual path to the PNG file that was missing.

Try this:

1) Open up your project folder in Windows Explorer ( the creaProj directory )

2) You will notice a couple of PNG files there ( character_img_*.png )

3) There is a missing PNG file there, just copy one of your current ones and paste it to: character_img_3.png

Reopen your project in Creature and see if it loads this time. All your data should still be present.

To debug the file ( if you were wondering how I figured out the path issue ), you can open up the file: character.csf in any JSON viewer ( like this one: http://www.jsoneditoronline.org )

Now look for the key: "MeshGrid". Open that node up and you will see an attribute "texture_filename". This points to your PNG file of your character. This file was missing ( well the program crashed before it could save it out) resulting in you being unable to load.

I will look into making Creature not crash if the PNG texture file is not found. It should throw a warning instead.

Cheers

alejkhan

Post by alejkhan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:26 pm

I followed your instructions, and I can open the file again! That is a relief! Thank you so much for looking at this and finding the solution.

chong

Post by chong » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:28 pm

No problem,

I am going to have a big feature push ( both Standard and Pro versions ) for Creature next week. This is to give you guys the ability to animate region/layer ordering in Creature. The runtimes to be supported first will be UE4 and Unity ( and the others after that )

I am sure a lot of users ( quite a few studios have requested for this) will appreciate this new feature ( it has a new fancy Region Ordering GUI/Editor as well ). After that I will take a look at the bug(s) you submitted as well as making it more stable.

Cheers

DAve_Rocketson

Post by DAve_Rocketson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I am getting the "Unhandled Exception" message, but it seems under different circumstances.

I get it when I click on a new bone under the Weighting section. I can just click retry and most of the time it's fine, but it definitely slows down my workflow.

Details:
I am running Creature Pro 3.20 with Windows 10 Pro (64-bit).
It's not just one particular project, but happens every time I do bone-weighting.

Full Error Message:
Unhandled exception

An Unhandled exception occured. Press "Abort" to terminate the program, "Retry" to exit the program normally and "Ignore" to try to continue.