Troubles converting Project in Unreal 4.12.5 to 4.13

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
Coyote Kid

Troubles converting Project in Unreal 4.12.5 to 4.13

Post by Coyote Kid » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:46 am

Hello again! :P

I don't understand how to use creature in the new Unreal 4.13.

I have tried following the same system as the previous. Where you create a C++ project and using Microsoft Visualizer. Going to My Unreal Projects folder and creating a new Plugin Folder, I went to gethub and downloaded the run-times and unzipped them and copied and pasted the CreaturePlugin folder into the new plugin folder and "Generated Visual Studio Project Files".

But this does not let me open up a 4.13 version of my 4.12.5 project? I am sure i am jumping into an unnecessary panic :cry: but i am just worried that all the work i have done will be rendered obsolete with each patch?

Is there something i am doing wrong? is there a fix incoming? There was a Creature 2D Animator Plugin in the Unreal Marketplace but it is now outdated, will there be a 4.13 version coming that will help?

Perhaps i am missing something....

Once again, im sorry if i have just overlooked something...

thank you so much for your time.

chong

Re: Troubles converting Project in Unreal 4.12.5 to 4.13

Post by chong » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:19 am

Hello,

If you are using the full fledged plugin ( sounds like what you are doing ), then you should grab the latest plugin from GitHub.

The Creature Plugin does not overwrite any of your UE4 project files/settings. You should be able to open up your .uproject file with an automatic upgrade, the UE4 project management portion is a UE4 thing, Creature has no say in this.

Cheers

Coyote Kid

Post by Coyote Kid » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:27 am

I grabbed the latest 4.13 CreaturePlugin from the Github, and did the previously mentioned process, The Unreal "New Project" I created in C++ says that it recognizes the Creature Plugin, then when I attempt to open my real pride and joy project from 4.12.5 it prompts me to clone my project.

I happily oblige, but once I try and open the cloned 4.13 version of my Project it says that it does not recognize the CreaturePlugin and goes on to suggest I restore it. If I select yes it will load briefly before stating that the project could not be restored and that I should restore it manually...

I even noticed that when trying to even import FBX files or Creature based folders into the Unreal "New Project" in C++ that it doesn't recognize them! This confuses me.. Because the CreaturePlugin appears within the Plugin Drop down menu in Unreal.

I realize this is likely a novice problem on my end, and I Sincerely want to understand this process completely so that I do not have to struggle with this through the countless inevitable Unreal Patches to come..

I am desperate for any advice..

-Thank you

chong

Post by chong » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:03 am

Hello,

This is actually a very general UE4 question regarding their engine pipeline and plugin framework.
What I suggest is you take your current project, delete away the old Creature plugin, then copy over a fresh Creature plugin from GitHub.

Then right-click on the .uproject file in your project folder and "Regenerate Visual Studio Project files". Now double click and open the .uproject file, it should prompt you to recompile the new plugin.

Cheers