Import and transfer animation?

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
rzero

Import and transfer animation?

Post by rzero » Tue May 02, 2017 11:55 am

I see 'Rig Import and Transfer' in the features list and in the docs, which is great.

Is it also possible to retarget animations this way?

For example, could I export the rig AND the animations of a character, and then import it all to another character?

chong

Re: Import and transfer animation?

Post by chong » Tue May 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Hello,

Not yet but you do bring up a pretty cool ( and non trivial :) ) idea; so you want to do animation retargeting but from your own existing animations.

This feature needs some thought but we already have something similar in the form of 3D to 2D Mocap Animation Transfer. You can bring in a mocap BVH from an external source, bind it to your bones and then retarget. Conceivably, we could do it for other custom animations as well but it will be a bit more complicated due to the wide variety of rigs.

The dumb option ( yes I know quite dumb ) is to use the "Export Project As..." feature ( on Windows, the feature on Mac will follow ) to export the current project ( Rig and Animation, everything ) into a new project, then open it and replace the current image atlas which is similar to what you are asking for.

Cheers

rzero

Post by rzero » Wed May 03, 2017 6:22 am

Thanks, those workarounds don't sound too dumb :)

I didn't realize you could just export the entire project (I'm on Mac), that's not a bad solution.

chong

Post by chong » Wed May 03, 2017 7:01 am

Hello,

The Mac version does not have the export feature yet due to the mac app store's sandbox restrictions. This issue however is solvable and export to an external folder will be added as a feature to the Mac version as an update.

Cheers