Frame by Frame

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
chong

Re: Frame by Frame

Post by chong » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:12 am

Hello,

Yes your screenshot there is very useful. I think it's definitely some PSD layer encoding issue getting exported out from Affinity.
I am not saying that Affinity's format is incorrect; but given the fact that PSD is a closed file format, it's a bit more difficult to determine the correctness of the export. I have been testing PSD import from various programs right now for the ones I can test ( Photoshop, Pixelmator, Gimp ) and it works. That's the information I can provide you with right now.

There is one other thing you can try, this is a new experimental feature that allows the import of Spine projects:
http://www.kestrelmoon.com/creaturedocs ... erter.html

Take a look at it and see if you can convert the Spine project over.

Thanks

Pixel Mush

Post by Pixel Mush » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:16 am

UPDATE: I tried every other version of the PSD with no luck. Changed the sampling. I'm not really sure. I will try downloading gimp, and see about your work around. But if it only gives me 1 of the 6 layers then it still doesn't help me as much as I would like.

chong

Post by chong » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:17 am

Hello,

There is a new experimental Spine to Creature Project converter:

You mentioned something about Affinity exporting out Spine JSON files. Perhaps you want to give that a go?
But if you still have problems, you should PM me your Spine JSON, Atlas and Atlas PNG files. This I can fix for you and get working since the format is known. ( as opposed to PSD which is a closed format )

Thanks

Pixel Mush

Post by Pixel Mush » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:19 am

chong wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:12 am
Hello,

Yes your screenshot there is very useful. I think it's definitely some PSD layer encoding issue getting exported out from Affinity.
I am not saying that Affinity's format is incorrect; but given the fact that PSD is a closed file format, it's a bit more difficult to determine the correctness of the export. I have been testing PSD import from various programs right now for the ones I can test ( Photoshop, Pixelmator, Gimp ) and it works. That's the information I can provide you with right now.

There is one other thing you can try, this is a new experimental feature that allows the import of Spine projects:

Take a look at it and see if you can convert the Spine project over.

Thanks
Thanks again for the help (no matter the outcome). Would you suggest I slice my files in to a json and then use the importer for this? And just so I understand correctly do I need to create an atlas and a json file to import?

chong

Post by chong » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:22 am

Hello,

The Spine to Creature converter takes in an exported out Spine runtime project.
You mentioned before that Affinity supports Spine JSON export in the earlier conversation.

So it should provide:

A Spine Atlas file
A Spine packed PNG atlas
A Spine JSON file

If these files are what Affinity can export out, then put those in and give it a go.

Btw, I looked around at the Affinity forums:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. ... uccessful/
It seems like their PSD export has certain issues, though they might have been fixed? Not sure about this yet.

Thanks

Pixel Mush

Post by Pixel Mush » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:30 am

Thats what it exports. No .atlas

Here is what my export view looks like;

EDIT: Maybe I will try to contact them linking this forum query asking for suggestions. If you think that might be a good option?

chong

Post by chong » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 am

Hello,

Yes that sounds like a good idea. I will still like to eventually get the PSD import working though; that will be the most straightforward process.
Actually, do you mind asking them why for example in Gimp, your PSD only shows 1 layer? It will be great to find out how to make PSD export work from Affinity into Gimp first; if it does work then chances are it will also work in Creature.
If the layer encoding issue can be solved, then it will be the easiest and more straightforward way to get a PSD directly into Creature. I wonder if this is a PSD versioning issue?

For now, you will have to export out the character into one big atlas and assemble them manually first. But please keep me posted on the PSD import issue.

Thanks

chong

Post by chong » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 am

Hello,

Ok I am doing more investigation for you on this PSD matter since it also bugs me a bit.
Try this online PSD viewer:
https://www.photopea.com/

It opens my own character PSDs just fine. But when I put your test.psd into it, it throws and error: "16 Bits/Channel not supported!"
This feels like an Affinity PSD encoding issue.
Can you please post this question over to the Affinity forums? Keep me updated on the progress.

Update: One more thing, read this: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. ... e-in-fcpx/
Do you want to give the suggestion a go and try 8 bit encoding?

Thanks

Pixel Mush

Post by Pixel Mush » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:01 am

Well it loaded it into the program at 8 bit now. But it just gives me multiples of just one layer.

I will upload this PSD to the drive and send you another link so you can further investigate. Or see how it works for yourself.

chong

Post by chong » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:03 am

Hello,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like 2 issues: 16 bit encoding and the layer encoding itself.
I will take a look at your file when you send it over.

Update: I loaded your file in Gimp and re-exported out into a new PSD. This now loads correctly in Creature.

Thanks