BVH Files in an isometric game

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
Kiskara

BVH Files in an isometric game

Post by Kiskara » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm

I would like to know how usable BVH files are. All sample images are from the side, so basically platformer style. Can bvh be used on the 8 movement direction of a 2D avatar moving in an isometric environment ? That would need to tell the application the direction the pelvis of the avatar is aimed at = the vector, since the angles needed to be calculated from that.

I could not find any more precise descriptions of that feature.

chong

Re: BVH Files in an isometric game

Post by chong » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello,

BVH file just contain 3D motion ( typically from Mocap ) data. I assume you are referring to using the 3D to 2D Mocap transfer tool to transfer that animation onto your characters?

Isometric looks are independent of the BVH files, the BVH is just used to assist you in getting motion from the file. Of course since the BVH is 3D data, you could possibly rotate the character around, transfer it to a 2D rig of a different perspective. Do this repeatedly on different rigs to easily get the different movement directions for your desired application. Just an idea.

Cheers

Altor

Post by Altor » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 pm

Very helpful, thanks a lot! I'll try to use that feature to implement an 8-direction character. I thought you couldn't because I wasn't able. Now I see it can be done. I'll use different bvh input and hopefully it will work!! That will end my personal nightmare: front and back walking.

Altor

Post by Altor » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 pm

I just wanted to point out that, after so much time, I haven't been able to achieve a legit animation using the mocast transfer feature in any perspective but simple profile. If someone achieves it, please, let me know how to do it. I'm really interested on it. I intend to create a classic 2d, rpg game using it. It'd be so mind-blowing if it worked. Just science fiction. Like the next level. It'd popularize 2d games again I think.

chong

Post by chong » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:03 am

Hello,

For more perspective it might not work that well since 3D to 2D ultimately reduces the motion down to lower dimensions. This is just an intrinsic fundamental core of how motion is structured in general.

Thanks