Custom Poly Mesh - Manual Edges

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
denin

Custom Poly Mesh - Manual Edges

Post by denin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello,

I am using a custom polygon mesh for use with a mesh motor animation. The problem I have is when I add a vertex to the mesh it auto generates the triangles, often in less than ideal ways. When I animate with these triangles it warps the image in undesirable ways. I could solve this if I could create or split the triangles in a more appropriate way but I can't seem to find a way to put an edge between two vertices. How can I put an edge between two vertices of my choosing for a custom poly mesh?

Thanks for your time.

chong

Re: Custom Poly Mesh - Manual Edges

Post by chong » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Hello,

Here are the ways to split a triangle with the Custom Poly tool:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqx8igir1ng6b ... t.mp4?dl=0

If you click inside the triangle, it generates more triangles via subdivision.
If you click on one of the sides, it splits in the behavior according to the video above.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks

zampano

Post by zampano » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Hm, I too would appreciate a more direct way to triangulate custom polys. The way it is now, it's pretty tedious to create a decent, high resoluten custom poly.
I think it would make sense to handle it more like most 3D programs do:

- Let the user create a shape of as many nodes as he wants, with clicking on the first node to connect and finish the shape
- Don't let the program automatically interconnect the nodes at this point, rather have an auto-triangulate button and the possibility to connect nodes manually, either by selecting two of them and pressing a button/key or by clicking on two (or more) nodes in a row whith a certain tool or while holding a key. You could mark polygons that are not properly triangulated red for example to show where the user needs to do more.
- ability to add nodes on lines or just wherever you want so that you can perfectly control where you put your edges
- to expand the custom poly mesh, select a node, put down a few nodes that connect in a line like in the first step and close the e attached shape by ending on another existing node

Also, or as a maybe somewhat quicker fix for my "problems", a feature to set any standard poly mesh to a certain individual rotation angle would be amazingly useful, ideally so that recalculating it keeps that angle.

Very excited for the major update :)

chong

Post by chong » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 am

Hello,

Thanks for the very useful tips/suggestions. I will need to investigate how to improve on the custom poly tool and take your suggestions into account when I get the cycles!

Cheers