Adding/Anmating Custom Colliders with Creature

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
pg_interactive

Adding/Anmating Custom Colliders with Creature

Post by pg_interactive » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm

Hello,

without looking much into the tool, can i simply ask: is there a way to add custom colliders (to meshes, or separately, rectangular or custom shape) inside Creature, or feasible alternative approach to allow for later precise collision detection in-game-engine of choice? I'm looking for best-practise suggestions when integrating creature animation within engine, dealing with collision detection on the animation frames.

As an example, lets imagine an android character, that when player collides with its body (simple rectangular collider), it produces a collision with that body's rectangular collider, but when destroyed, the android character shatters into pieces, where each piece can be collided with, or imagine that they explode, and each separate piece produces an explosion force (based on collider's position and size for example - this of course is coded in-game-engine, the question only concers the colliders management within creature). We've had multiple other scenarios, where custom collider management is required, and it seems reasonable to do it within creature, however I'm open to alternative perspective on the matter, as managing "colliders", which are game-engine specific seems like something that might be done better elsewhere. The problem remains however, as colliders (shape, size, position) relate directly to animation frames, which are managed within creature.

If you take Unity as an example, and it's "timeline" animation, you can easily add/remove change shape/position of any objects (including colliders), animate those over time (frames), within the TimeLine itself.

Thanks for feedback.