Bone rotation issues in unreal after creature patch 3.53

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
furrfire

Bone rotation issues in unreal after creature patch 3.53

Post by furrfire » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:24 am

Remember that "Set FK Angles to Closest Rotation" feature you added last patch? 3.53.
In unreal it broke something. An old char animation I had- which was made long before this last patch- well I worked on it some more in the new version- re-exported- and now in unreal some of the bone rotations are going the wrong way. These old bones were made using the old system of having to type in the angles manually.

Using the old character file made on previous version of creature- it works fine in unreal, so we have concluded it has to be the new creature patch that broke something.

In creature it all works just fine on my end- only in unreal it doesn't.

chong

Re: Bone rotation issues in unreal after creature patch 3.53

Post by chong » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:17 am

Hello,

That is strange, will take a look when I get the cycles. However, it could be the way UE4 interprets/interpolates the angles. Your alternative will be to not use that feature and manually key in the extra keys for now. If you do not run that feature, the angles should be behave as before. Non of the FK angle export code was changed.

* I just did some testing by exporting a couple of animations into UE4 with no bone angle issues. ( This is without running that new feature ) *

Update: I also exported out some test animations which run the Fix FK Angle feature and those seem to work fine in UE4 as well. I made a test case with a wheel that rotated about, required the "closest angle fixing" and exported it out the UE4. The bone(s) rotated the correct way.

You could also try exporting with a Gap Step of 1 ( if you haven't already ) and see what happens.

Thanks

furrfire

Re: Bone rotation issues in unreal after creature patch 3.53

Post by furrfire » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:32 am

erm... terribly sorry for wasting your time- from what my coder was saying it sounded like the bone rotation thing. Once I seen it in action, and your post- I knew it was probably the gap step. This was my fault, I had it set too aggressive because a few animations looked just fine (I should have tested them all- but just assumed they would all be fine). :( :oops: :?

I did a bad geek today. :geek: