pre sales evaluation and questions for the community

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
method

pre sales evaluation and questions for the community

Post by method » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Good Day all,

So I am looking to add a 2D rigging/animation application to my tool kit, and currently evaluation both Spine and Creature.
My current work flow involves me modeling and poly-painting my models in Zbrush, then rendering out the 2D still images, and pulling them into Photoshop where I do any post work, and slice them into sections necessary for 2D animation. The final results will be utilized in the Godot game engine.

Spine has been around a long time, and needs no introduction, so my question is really about Creature.
For those using Creature for a while, what elements have you come to love, what improvements over the competition has it made?
Although I have played with the creature free download, I am looking for input from other who have spent time with it.

So far I am enjoying the application but found two things that I feel negative about.
1) There is a lot less tutorials/training materials vs spine
2) Creature has crashed on my multiple times in the short time i have worked with it, the app just closes out with no error message..

I would appreciate any input from current users, regarding my points, or any other experience good/bad regarding the program
- thanks
Sam

chong

Re: pre sales evaluation and questions for the community

Post by chong » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello Sam,

Thanks for your feedback on Creature.
Can you tell me specifically what situation Creature crashes for you? Are you on the Windows or Mac version?
If possible, I will like to address some of these issues for future updates.

Side Note: The Windows version should be quite stable ( but yes there will be issues here and there ).
The Mac version can be improved upon ( but due to most of our users being on Windows also Mac has a lot more restrictions in terms of hardware/GPU/APIs, it gets a bit less attention ).

Thanks

method

Post by method » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:36 pm

I decided to make the purchase.
if i see more issues i will post here with specifics.

chong

Post by chong » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks for your support of Creature.
For your info, Creature is actively being improved upon, the next update will be Rigging focused:

1. Allow Drag + Drop of a selected region mesh so as to change the display order of the meshes in Rig Mode. This is a major feature ( since it requires larger changes internally for the UI system ) requested by one of the big enterprise customers using Creature in full production right now.

2. If time permits for the next update, we will also add in scaling of multiple selected meshes in Rig mode as well.

Cheers

tayete

Post by tayete » Sat May 18, 2019 4:45 am

Hi Method:

I am in that exact situation right now. I plan to use Creature after many years of using Spine and Spriter, with Godot. But I am waiting as the Godot integration doesn't allow all the features CReature has (e.g.: colour switching). How are you planning to work with Godot?

Thanks!

method

Post by method » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Sorry for the late reply,
I have been working on other projects (mostly music creation)
so am just picking Creature back up again, as for using it with Godot, i am not sure yet, as i have not played with the run time yet.
I have a 100+ monsters i need to get animated... so gonna work on that next.