[Important Feature Request] Export SkinSwaps into multiple Atlases

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
sonic2002

Re: [Important Feature Request] Export SkinSwaps into multiple Atlases

Post by sonic2002 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:48 pm

furrfire wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:10 am
This thread does have me curious about something.

Are we talking about skin swaps using too much memory?
Or the cpu performance?
Both?

I got this character with lots of skin swap parts. We spam it in unreal engine to stress test. Like hundreds of characters... I notice that the performance (frames per second) is the same whether 1 skin is active or if ALL of them are active. The memory in use doesn't seem to matter.
Are we doing something wrong here?
Nope. This thread is about this:
At one point you will realize that you must load assetts for a charcter dinamically a run time (wit AssetBundle in Unity), this implies that you will not need at all the skinswap feature, instead you will realize that you need to write the code to swap UV maps with the weapons or dress of the character.

You will realize that this is very painful, unless Creature will offer a way to split the assets into different Atlases to be loaded at different times like Spine, and new Unity Native animation system instead do.

jfaz

Re: [Important Feature Request] Export SkinSwaps into multiple Atlases

Post by jfaz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 am

A year late, but I also would like to see this feature implemented. I was about to purchase the pro version in order to gain access to skin swaps (RPG with armor/weapons/etc) and after reading this thread it seems like too much of a pain to have to manually add this myself, seeing as Spine doesn't have this issue. Is this feature on the horizon? Or a workaround that doesn't involve manually swapping UVs (maybe overriding the device atlas limit or something?)
Thanks and looking forward to replies, hopefully this isn't as big a problem as I am understanding it to be