Some bugs I found in mesh mode

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
furrfire

Some bugs I found in mesh mode

Post by furrfire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 am

Found a few bugs in mesh mode, not sure if you know about these already or not so here you go.

BUG #1 (fixed in a patch)
When using the "move selected mesh" mode, you don't actually see the mesh, just the piece of art... Why is this a problem? well... if your mesh extends beyond that, and you are trying too hard to squeeze as much as possible into your atlas, it can be easy to have your mesh go beyond the atlas border, which will cause a crash once you click okay to stop moving the mesh.

BUG #2 (mostly fixed- read my latest post for more info)
When using the "move selected mesh" mode, moving stuff can sometimes cause artifacting in the artwork. LIke little lines, or even missing squares, even though the mesh is not missing any squares. This can also happen when using atlas repacking (which is improved but can still miss things at times). I had some pieces of art that for whatever reason, it just always happens to, no matter what method I used. For those I have to move them by editing the atlas png in an art program.

BUG #3 (possibly mouse bug?)
Sometimes when clicking okay to end the "move selected mesh" operation, or to stop adding mesh, it will register that click as a new point to add mesh, or to move the mesh to that location! This is why I kept getting little islands of meshes now n then when adding mesh in the past.
When this bug happens while moving the mesh, the mesh will be intact, floating outside the atlast. Moving this back into the atlas doesn't restore the art, it will be a mesh with no graphics lol. :shock: Have to reload to a prior save or checkpoint to fix.

I hope this helps you when you get time to work on these bugs someday in the future. I do really like the move mesh feature btw. Very convenient when it works right, which is most of the time.
Last edited by furrfire on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

chong

Re: Some bugs I found in mesh mode

Post by chong » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks for the bug reports, those are great! Will see if there are cycles to address some of them for the next update. Most probably I will implement a guard condition where you will be prevented from moving the mesh beyond the boundary of your atlas as the next patch.

Cheers

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:25 am

Found some new bugs in meshing mode.

I've decided to cut back on triangles for performance reasons on an atlas that has like 100+ regions. Not everything needs lots of triangles. The issue is every time I region remesh a specific region, then often move a lot of these piece of art to space things better on the atlas, one of these or both of these actions (I suspect it's moving a region mesh) is causing a very strange bug. The atlas is being corrupted each time slightly as it saves a new atlas png... Colors are becoming more dark, with more artifacts in them kinda like saving a picture in lower and lower jpeg resolution. By the time the 60th atlas png was made, my blues were all about black, and I had a lot of scuff marks on various pieces of art.

Also I find, though while it's been improved in the last patch, there is still some issues now n then of meshes not grabbing all the art inside the remeshed region.

chong

Post by chong » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:24 am

That is very strange, will need time to investigate since this sounds like a difficult bug to track down. Region remeshing does not actually alter the underlying image file or change the atlas png.
However, right now time is spent focusing on the next update that will have a new optimized compute engine for projects which are very bone motor heavy. Also a new feature will be added to merge regions into a single fbx mesh for export.

Thanks

sonic2002

Post by sonic2002 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:52 pm

I have this terrible bug too... Repack atlas doesn't work... :oops:
I shrink the atlas, i click cancel on remeshing, and all meshes do not line up... why? how can we fix this? thank you

chong

Post by chong » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:32 pm

Hello,

After packing the meshes need to be remeshed in order for them to be synced up with the new locations on the atlas.
Sorry but you will need to remesh, give that a go.

sonic2002

Post by sonic2002 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:38 am

chong wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:32 pm
Hello,

After packing the meshes need to be remeshed in order for them to be synced up with the new locations on the atlas.
Sorry but you will need to remesh, give that a go.
In that way I destroy all my rig... so what is the advantage of adjusting the atlas if in any case all the rig information will be lost ?

chong

Post by chong » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:04 pm

The rig information is not lost, those are 2 separate things. The system allows you to sync up after repacking which is what the remeshing is for.

sonic2002

Post by sonic2002 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:34 pm

As I said, like other people, If I click ok to remesh instead of Cancel, it creates new wrong meshes named "TextureMesh32" besides my original meshes (overlapping on them) destroying the rig. Instead we would like to preserve everything when we shrink and repack an atlas...

chong

Post by chong » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:17 pm

So the images are moved around in the atlas which means remeshing is required. Not remeshing means the uvs no longer map to the new locations of the atlas.