Animation resizing/scaling

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
joriooo

Animation resizing/scaling

Post by joriooo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Hello,

just wondering if there is any way to resize a animation - for example if the animation of the character is made at the size optimal for mobile game, therefore as small as possible, it's useless for other non in game uses where much larger size would be required (promotional videos, trailers. etc) and the other way around. The question is actually for the latter, towards downscaling.

Thank you so much and keep up the good work.
Best!

chong

Re: Animation resizing/scaling

Post by chong » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Hello,

When you deploy the character with the Creature Runtimes, it is deployed as a deformable mesh. Using your standard game engine's scaling functions, you can scale the character however large or small you like. So use that to adjust your character sizes.

Thanks

joriooo

Post by joriooo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Thank you for your reply,

I'm aware that this is one way to do it, but the problem in this case is texture atlas size. It would be much bigger than actually needed for the game, therefore it would take much more space, which is always a big issue for a mobile game.
Also are there also no other negative impacts on the game performance if resizing for all characters is done by the game engine?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
Best!

chong

Post by chong » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:03 am

Hello,

Actually you are free to resize the texture atlas down to whatever size you want as long as you keep the aspect ratio. All UV coordinates of the Creature meshes are normalized ( 0 to 1 ) so if you have more stringent memory requirements, you can always scale the texture atlas down while keeping the same aspect ratio.

Thanks

joriooo

Post by joriooo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am

thank you so much, that's a very useful insight!

just one last thing regarding scaling inside game engines (in this case Unity)- do you happen to know if there is any influence on processing performance, if resizing is done in the game engine not beforehand in Creature?

thanks again!
best!

chong

Post by chong » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:21 pm

There shouldn't be a performance issue, but this will be dependent on your Game Engine.

Cheers

meiciuc

Post by meiciuc » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:18 pm

chong wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:03 am
Actually you are free to resize the texture atlas down to whatever size you want as long as you keep the aspect ratio. All UV coordinates of the Creature meshes are normalized ( 0 to 1 ) so if you have more stringent memory requirements, you can always scale the texture atlas down while keeping the same aspect ratio.
Сlarify please.
Let's say I reduced the texture by half, where and how can I report this for meshes? I understand, scale has become 0.5, but how to set this param?
Thanks

chong

Post by chong » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:43 am

The meshes are independent of the texture ( material ). So you are free to assign any texture you want to the character as long as the UVs are mapped in the same way. This follow standard Game Engine designs of having the mesh separate from its material.

Thanks