One Skeleton for Multiple Persepectives?

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
DoctorMeow

One Skeleton for Multiple Persepectives?

Post by DoctorMeow » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:34 am

Hello!

My question is: I have one bipedal-like character that faces multiple perspectives (front, side, three quarter, back) and was wondering if there was a way to use one skeleton for all the different perspectives and swapping the sprites for each angle. I am hoping to use the same animations for each angle we present the character in. Is there maybe a tutorial you could point me to, please?

I have all the perspectives of the character laid out in one PNG file, if that helps explain what I am trying to do? I'd like to swap perspectives in real time from a profile perspective to a front facing perspective, as an example. I'm doing this in Unreal if that helps too.

Thank you so much!

chong

Re: One Skeleton for Multiple Persepectives?

Post by chong » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:38 am

Hello,

You can consider using skinSwapping to accomplish that:
https://www.kestrelmoon.com/creaturedoc ... pping.html

You have a much more complicated rig representing a subSkeleton in various poses, then swap in the skins.
Having said that, it might get a bit messy. Your other alternative is to make different characters ( 1 for each pose ).

Thanks

DoctorMeow

Post by DoctorMeow » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:14 am

Thank you for the quick reply!

This sounds like it will put me in the correct direction and will give it a try.

jfaz

Post by jfaz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 am

chong wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:38 am
Hello,

You can consider using skinSwapping to accomplish that:
https://www.kestrelmoon.com/creaturedoc ... pping.html

You have a much more complicated rig representing a subSkeleton in various poses, then swap in the skins.
Having said that, it might get a bit messy. Your other alternative is to make different characters ( 1 for each pose ).

Thanks
Hi, I was about to make the same post until I saw this one was up. In my case I only need 3 directions (up, down, side). I'm not sure what approach to take. The multiple characters approach sounds fine at first but I am using skin swapping for armor/weapons/etc., and possibly callbacks as well, meaning that there could be a lot of issues down the road related to IDs not matching, callbacks getting called multiple times, animations being different lengths, etc. If you had to approach this issue (3 different directions, with skin swapping used frequently for items/skins) what would you do?
Thanks

chong

Post by chong » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am

Hello,

Then unfortunately multiple characters might be required. You will need to write some code as at the top layer to do some book-keeping and keep track of all the required IDs etc.

Thanks

jfaz

Post by jfaz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I think that'll work, thanks.