Realtime modifications with Godot 2D

Discuss issues pertaining to the various game/web runtimes of Creature here.
HeroicNate

Realtime modifications with Godot 2D

Post by HeroicNate » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:21 pm

Hi! I am looking at creating more real-time effects effects that have characters reacting to in game events.

I'm wondering:
  1. Will there ever be a Godot implementation for in Game Bone IK?
  2. Will there ever be a Godot implementation for Bend Physics support for dangling bone chains?
  3. Is there a way to modify an animation "path" at runtime?
  4. Are there ways to mix animations at run time?
If the features above don't exist, can Creature export just a mesh/polygons that I can use with the bone system in Godot? Creating polygons and UVs in Godot is painful but the bone system is relatively functional and I'd have direct access to the bones via gdscript.

From what I've been learning, I can do a lot with morph targets. Using them in a non-conventional way I can do things like:
  • Pose series: An example being have plants/ropes that have a series of poses and I tie the morph target to a physics object to mimic the real time IK chain.
  • Mix animations: An example is controlling the upper and lower body animations to have things like run and shoot vs just run. So if I tie a morph target to my own little control box I basically can mix animations that way.
I can see how to make work-arounds function, but it would be super great if it was supported in engine. I've seen reference to C++ runtimes, but my knowledge stops at gdscript, so I don't really know how to use gdnative or the c runtimes.

Sorry for all the posts, I'm really getting into the usage.
Last edited by HeroicNate on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

chong

Re: Realtime modifications with Godot

Post by chong » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 am

Hello,

Actually Creature can export your characters with bone motors to FBX/GLTF. The purpose of that is to allow your characters to be used in a regular game engine workflow. You can consider that as an option if it works for you.

Thanks

HeroicNate

Re: Realtime modifications with Godot

Post by HeroicNate » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 am

chong wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 am
Hello,

Actually Creature can export your characters with bone motors to FBX/GLTF. The purpose of that is to allow your characters to be used in a regular game engine workflow. You can consider that as an option if it works for you.

Thanks
Hmm.. Interesting. I'll have to look into how to use that in the 2D side of Godot. I guess I should have specified 2D.

I'm guessing the other things I asked about are a no go?

*Update Edit:
While it does give me an array mesh I can use, I don't have a straight forward way to translate that to the polygons needed for wiring to bones in 2D.

Godot 2D appears to use Vector arrays to figure out how to draw the polygons.

Looks like I'd have to write some sort of custom translator to parse the json.

chong

Re: Realtime modifications with Godot 2D

Post by chong » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:51 am

Hello,

For these sorts of things 3D animation workflows might make more sense ( since these are all things associated with skin/bone mesh animations which are typically in 3D )

Thanks

HeroicNate

Post by HeroicNate » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Hmm. I’ll take that to mean Creature is now focused on 3d support. I guess that makes sense since unity and unreal are 3D even when they are 2D. I’ll make do with work-arounds until I can take the 3D plunge. I’ll miss the straight forward 2D workflow but eventually I could do 2.5D that way.

Cajetano

Post by Cajetano » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:07 am

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in the product. With Godot 2D, you can make realtime modifications to your game without having to restart the engine. This makes prototyping and iterating on your game faster and easier. Developers are constantly working to improve and update the software and they appreciate your feedback and they will keep it in mind for future updates. You may be able to modify an animation "path" at runtime using the code editor, but it may not be possible to mix animations at run time. Andersen

jiron

Post by jiron » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:25 pm

That will be great if we could modify an animation "path" at runtime using the code editor. Looking forward to the update.
I recently started studying astrology and did not know that the position of the Moon in the birth chart is so important!