UE4 Image Swap Displacement Relative to screen center

Discuss issues pertaining to the various game/web runtimes of Creature here.
JennyWoodsy

UE4 Image Swap Displacement Relative to screen center

Post by JennyWoodsy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Hello! I am having an issue where a region does not track correctly with the whole skeleton when moving around the screen in UE4. See the image here, with special attention to the mouth placement:

When the character is in the middle of the screen, the mouth aligns correctly. When I move her left or right, the mouth becomes displaced.

I cannot figure out why this is happening. The mouth region has image swap enabled, but so do the eyes, which are also separate layers. Otherwise, it is set up just like any other layer, weighted to the same bone as the rest of the head. I tried using an Anchor Point and turning it to True in UE4, but this has no effect.

Help greatly appreciated!! I have been trying to fix this for a couple days to no avail, and I'm not sure I can use this software if the problem continues.

chong

Re: UE4 Image Swap Displacement Relative to screen center

Post by chong » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Hello,

The image swap needs the image to be in the correct ratio and relative placement matching the original image on the mesh, otherwise it will have issues. Your other option to try is skin swapping where you can actually swap in different meshes for animation. You can check out the skin/costume swapping tutorials on the channel for more info.

Thanks

JennyWoodsy

Post by JennyWoodsy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:24 pm

The sizes and ratios of the image do match but I'm still having the issue, unfortunately. I watched the videos, thanks! But I didn't see instructions for image swapping using images from the meshes, though, in UE4? (I need to use Image Swap instead of skin swap because I only want the swap to affect one layer, not all of them). How do you know the tag numbers for meshes?

chong

Post by chong » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:23 am

Hello,

Is this link helpful to you:
https://www.kestrelmoon.com/creaturedoc ... pping.html

Thanks

JennyWoodsy

Post by JennyWoodsy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:22 pm

Skin Swapping isn't a good solution for what I need to do here, unfortunately, which is swap *one* region without defining all the others at the same time. I'm trying to replace mouth and eyebrow images for facial expressions, while that character's clothes and costumes might change separately.

chong

Post by chong » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:41 am

Hmm is this any help:
https://youtu.be/fCwm7NtfJvg

It goes into detail more about Sprite Swapping.

Thanks

JennyWoodsy

Post by JennyWoodsy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:18 pm

Yes I have watched that video as well. I can make it all look fine in Creature, but 'm still having the issue of slight sprite displacement once I move the character around in UE4.

How do I find the tags for mesh regions used for Image Swapping, instead of from Sprite Manager? I'd like to see if that works any better in UE4

JennyWoodsy

Post by JennyWoodsy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:39 pm

Also I tried using the Creature Mesh Character as a widget, which avoided the displacement problem, but it looks like creature widgets can't use Image Swap?

chong

Post by chong » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:17 pm

Hello sorry,

That is not available as a widget.

Thanks