Unreal Engine Sequencer

Discuss issues pertaining to the various game/web runtimes of Creature here.
cm343

Unreal Engine Sequencer

Post by cm343 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Can you tell me if Creature animations are controllable from within Unreal Engine Sequencer?

I'm very much an Unreal Engine noob so I've only had a basic intro to Sequencer, but my experience is that when I try out a sequence recorder using UE's third person starter content, I successfully capture the player character's movement and animations. However when I try the same thing using the 2D side scroller starter content, it only captures the character movement (with no animations).

Can you tell me if it is possible to capture both movements and animations using Creature's runtimes? Or even to change animations manually in the sequence editor? I'm still evaluating Creature and haven't been able to successfully capture animations using the demo exported content on Github - though I may well be doing something wrong (I say again: UE noob).

chong

Re: Unreal Engine Sequencer

Post by chong » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 am

Hello,

So for sequencer, all Creature animation objects are BP compatible which means you should be able to drive them with sequencer.

However for capturing of animations, I presume you are talking about more tightly coupled integration? In theory it should work given the fact that the creature object itself is a BP object.

Here are some sample character JSONs with their character PNG atlases you can try out:
https://github.com/kestrelm/Creature_Go ... Godot3Demo

Also, if you need something that is pretty much 100% UE4 compatible for beginners, creature also exports bone motor animations ( bone skinning, which is what most people use it for most of their animations anyway ) to FBX. FBX assets go through the regular UE4 sequencer process.
You can try out a regular Creature exported FBX here:
https://creature.kestrelmoon.com/img/dragon2FBX.zip

Let me know if you need anymore samples.

Cheers

cm343

Re: Unreal Engine Sequencer

Post by cm343 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 am

Brilliant - thanks so much for the quick reply! I'll try out the FBX example.