Ice age game

Display your amazing animations created with Creature here! Share it with the world!
milan.mancel

Ice age game

Post by milan.mancel » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi guys,

here are first Creature animations for my work-in-progress game. So far are very very crude, each day I am learning a lot :)) Animations are then exported via FBX file to Unreal Engine. There I created animation blends and montages. All are in testing stage, after I will improve in Creature, game characters will be updated. Actualy reimporting FBX to UE updates everything, so it is pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSldhk ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_MVoHa ... e=youtu.be

Sometimes when I see my results I feel like Dr. Frankenstein creating horrible monsters :-)

Cheers

Milan

chong

Re: Ice age game

Post by chong » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:18 pm

That looks rather promising for an initial test! The bunny hopping around is also kind of cool. I assume you had some kind of random movement AI for that all done in Blueprint? It definitely makes the environment all come alive!

The sabre tooth cat is my favourite character in your 2 videos. You can probably add some side bones and put bend physics on them for some cool skin/flesh secondary effects.

Cheers

milan.mancel

Post by milan.mancel » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi Chong,

yes there is logic written in BP for the bunnies, actually there is whole class tree for all characters and lot is done just by parametrisation. Very important is to use UE Animation Blends and Animation Montages, because UE can do smooth transition between various skeleton animations.

For the sabre tooth tiger as well as for the bear I was using bend physics motors but I need to use combination of rotation motors. Reason is that with bend physics motors you can ensure exact timing of animation - so when after for example 100 frames the animation will loop to beginning there is nasty jump in movement. This is because I am using only FBX export. So I decided for kind of exact timing of motors :) But yes - the skin movement and also other effects will be there - Creature is cool tool for this :)

Cheers

Milan

chong

Post by chong » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Hello,

Yes that is a great writeup. So if you need to find a good looping range to make it not "jump", I suggest you take a look at the Animation Loop Analysis Tool which is designed for that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRQOYzI ... e=youtu.be

Have a look and see if it helps. So what you do is export the entire FBX frame range and then trim it AFTER( based on the range in the Animation Loop Analysis Tool ) in UE4 or some other tool.

Cheers

milan.mancel

Post by milan.mancel » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I see, thanks for great idea. I will check it tomorrow! :)

Milan