Sprite Frame Manager Importer Bug

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
alejkhan

Sprite Frame Manager Importer Bug

Post by alejkhan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 pm

When I import sprites into the Sprite Frame Manager, it works just fine for the first 2 sprites, but when I import a third sprite, it converts the first sprite image to the third sprite image, and the fourth new sprite I import after that replaces the 1st and 3rd sprite image with its image. and the fifth image I import replaces the 1st, 3rd, and 4th with its image, and so on. So I end up with 5 sprites, and 4 of them are exactly the same, except for the second one I imported.

alejkhan

Re: Sprite Frame Manager Importer Bug

Post by alejkhan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:55 pm

I tried it again, and now at least sprite swapping is working in the editor, but in the manager it doesn't visually look like it has imported correctly. So, it's not as bad as I initially thought.

Update: It temporarily worked in editor, but now it no longer does after I lost track of which image I was on, had to delete some sprites and re-import.

chong

Post by chong » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the bug report. I will investigate.

Cheers

chong

Post by chong » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:50 am

Hello,

I am having a difficult time replicating the bug you just reported. Can you tell me the resolution of the graphic images you are trying to import into the Sprite Frame Manager? I am wondering if it is running out of texture space.

If you don't mind, you can msg me privately on the forums ( send me a private msg ) with your project and test images as a dropbox link.

Cheers

alejkhan

Post by alejkhan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:21 pm

I guess there are too many of them/they are too large files? I have 8 images in the sequence for sprite swapping plus the base image. Each is a 1280x711 png at 72dpi. The base image is 4.45KB, one is 608KB, and the rest are in the range of 223 to 288 KB.

I'll send you a dropbox link in a moment.

chong

Post by chong » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:35 pm

Hello,

I think the sprite swapping texture atlas might be running out of texture space unfortunately. Right now the total amount of texture space for the sprite swapping atlas is 2048x2048 ( but remember you will need some gaps in the middle too so it cannot pack too tightly ). Can you please try input images with much lower resolution?

I can look into lifting the sprite swapping atlas resolution limit in the future to accommodate higher resolution swap images.

Some interim solutions:

1) One other option to get past this limitation right now is to use the other option: When you click on Image Swap -> Image Swapping from Character Meshes. This option allows you to directly swap in another character mesh ( of course the dimensions and mesh have to match otherwise things will be cutoff ). In other words, you can pack all your high res swapped images into your actual character png, import that in and create regions for all of them in Meshing mode. Then select them for swapping.

2) The last option is to do the same thing above ( pack all swapped images into your character png ) but actually make them mesh regions as well in Rigging Mode ( as in add them as new region meshes in Rigging Mode ). You will have to weigh then with bones of course. Then in Animate mode, you animate their opacity to show the swapped regions you care about.

Cheers

alejkhan

Post by alejkhan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:56 pm

I halved the file dimensions and could upload more than 2! Well, I'm glad to know the reason why, and now can work on solutions on my end.
Thanks for your help.

chong

Post by chong » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Hello,

The new update in Creature has:

1) A new Resize button for the Sprite Frame Manager. You can now resize your texture atlas for more space. Maximum resolution is capped to 8192x8192

2) Much better error handling when imported sprites do not fit on your texture atlas.

Cheers

alejkhan

Post by alejkhan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:29 pm

I just tried the update out. So awesome! Thanks for these great changes.