Some errors appear when I export creature project as .fbx file

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
lion

Some errors appear when I export creature project as .fbx file

Post by lion » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:52 am

I export my creature project to a .fbx file and import it to unreal. I get some errors. Image What cause this problem? I have some bones with zero weight. Is this related? How to solve the smoothing group issues? the warns about smoothing group always appears.
Last edited by lion on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

chong

Re: Some errors appear when I export creature project as .fbx file

Post by chong » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:30 am

Hello yes,

You need to make sure that every vertex is at least assigned to a bone and weighted as such. In rigging mode, regions that have not been weighted are highlighted in red.

Cheers

lion

Post by lion » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:39 am

chong wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:30 am
Hello yes,

You need to make sure that every vertex is at least assigned to a bone and weighted as such. In rigging mode, regions that have not been weighted are highlighted in red.

Cheers
What about the smooth group? I import a .fbx without any bones with zero weight. the warning about "Smooth warning" is still there.

chong

Post by chong » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:38 am

Hello,

From the warning msg it looks like an issue with the vertex normals. Creature meshes are flat 2D meshes so I am not sure if smooth vertex normals applies to this case.

Cheers

lion

Post by lion » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:18 am

chong wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:38 am
Hello,

From the warning msg it looks like an issue with the vertex normals. Creature meshes are flat 2D meshes so I am not sure if smooth vertex normals applies to this case.

Cheers
Image the error message(I deleted all bone with zero weight). So how to solve? what is smooth vertex normals?

chong

Post by chong » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 am

Hello,

I believe the smoothing normal is an additional flag or dataset that has to be added to the FBX file on export. Right now Creature does not export such information because as I mentioned before, each mesh is treated as a flat planar mesh so you don't really need to infer what the normals are.
Is this actually causing you any import errors? Because as far as I can tell, this is a warning, not an error. I also tried importing a Creature FBX file from my end and the animations all display correctly. I can look further into what smoothing normal are when I get the cycles but so far, I don't think this is preventing you from importing Creature FBX files that play their animations correctly in UE4.

lion

Post by lion » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:52 am

chong wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 am
Hello,

I believe the smoothing normal is an additional flag or dataset that has to be added to the FBX file on export. Right now Creature does not export such information because as I mentioned before, each mesh is treated as a flat planar mesh so you don't really need to infer what the normal are.
Is this actually causing you any import errors? Because as far as I can tell, this is a warning, not an error. I also tried importing a Creature FBX file from my end and the animations all display correctly. I can look further into what smoothing normal are when I get the cycles but so far, I don't think this is preventing you from importing Creature FBX files that play their animations correctly in UE4.
OK. Thank you very much. I'm just worried that this warning will cause a bug or crash. So, if this is just an Unreal warning, I'm not worried any more. thanks.

chong

Post by chong » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:05 am

I will take a look at this warning when I get the cycles and do some more research in the FBX format to see if I can find any resolution to it.

Cheers