UE4 Crash

Discuss issues pertaining to the various game/web runtimes of Creature here.
Mystifistisk

UE4 Crash

Post by Mystifistisk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Using UE - 4.21 & Visual Studio 2017 & newest Creature runtime 4.21.

Whenever I drag a creature widget onto a canvas in UE4, it immediately crashes. I tried multiple versions of UE including 4.23 and matching Creature version. Same thing. I honestly don't know left from right here, so any ideas? :D

- UE4Editor.exe has triggered a breakpoint.
"
FORCEINLINE ObjectType* operator->() const
{
check( IsValid() ); :? <-- L. 849 <-- ASSERTION FAILS
return Object;
}
"

"
> [Inline Frame] UE4Editor-CreaturePlugin.dll!TSharedPtr<CreatureModule::CreatureManager,0>::operator->() Line 849 C++
UE4Editor-CreaturePlugin.dll!CreatureCore::UpdateCreatureRender() Line 199 C++
UE4Editor-CreaturePlugin.dll!SCreatureWidget::UpdateMesh(const FVector2D & translation, const FVector2D & local_scale) Line 42 C++
UE4Editor-CreaturePlugin.dll!SCreatureWidget::OnPaint(const FPaintArgs & Args, const FGeometry & AllottedGeometry, const FSlateRect & MyClippingRect, FSlateWindowElementList & OutDrawElements, int LayerId, const FWidgetStyle & InWidgetStyle, bool bParentEnabled) Line 97 C++
"

chong

Re: UE4 Crash

Post by chong » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Hello,

I just tested on the latest UE4.23 and it runs with Slate:

Not sure what is going on with your end. From the stack error however, it will seem like the Creature character/asset was not loaded. It seems like maybe the CreatureManager ( which holds the Creature object ) was null and not loaded.

Mystifistisk

Post by Mystifistisk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to answer and look into it. :D

I should probably give a bit of warning, I'm mostly self taught in programming and fairly new to UE, so forgive me if I use any wrong terminology. Messing around a bit I found I could only get it working by making a blueprint class of the Creature Widget and choosing a Creature Animation Asset. If I do that I don't crash. Which leads me to suspect that what specifically crashes UE4 seems to be when Creature Animation Asset is undefined. Which I'm guessing leads to pretty much the same conclusion that the CreatureManager doesn't load unless the asset is defined in advance? However, even if this narrows down the issue (or doesn't). I have no idea where or how I need to make the necessary edits. :S I don't suppose there is a sample UE4 project of the UMG widget?

This is not in any way a priority for me, especially because it does work with a predefined blueprint, so don't feel any pressure to spend a lot of time on it. If you have any insight into what specifically might need changing or where I should focus my efforts, feel free to share your thoughts.

On another note, awesome software. I just recently bumped into this, I've been an avid user of Live2d for a long time and just recently decided to find a different program with UE support. This seems pretty promising and I'm excited to see if I can achieve similar results in Creature. :)

chong

Post by chong » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Hello,

No problem. So again as far as I know from your situation, all Creature UE4 objects need to be Blueprint objects in order for them to function ( you can see how it is defined in the C++ code for more info ). So that could explain your current issue ( or possibly solve it )

Cheers

PDubulous

Post by PDubulous » Mon May 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Ive run into this issue with 4.24

Im simply trying to drop in a creature to a border in an otherwise empty widget. Are there some prereqs for this?

Thanks!

LoginId:cd7fe20c43044a65f8774f9f04bb7df6
EpicAccountId:38420fcf3c2f4e4ab2f96455cd42b28c

Assertion failed: IsValid() [File:C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates/SharedPointer.h] [Line: 851]

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!CreatureCore::GetProcMeshData() [C:\Users\kurti\Documents\Unreal Projects\GoldBoxGuild\Plugins\CreaturePlugin\Source\CreaturePlugin\Private\CreatureCore.cpp:129]
UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!SCreatureWidget::UpdateMesh() [C:\Users\kurti\Documents\Unreal Projects\GoldBoxGuild\Plugins\CreaturePlugin\Source\CreaturePlugin\Private\SCreatureWidget.cpp:39]
UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!SCreatureWidget::OnPaint() [C:\Users\kurti\Documents\Unreal Projects\GoldBoxGuild\Plugins\CreaturePlugin\Source\CreaturePlugin\Private\SCreatureWidget.cpp:97]
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate

chong

Post by chong » Tue May 05, 2020 12:35 am

From your stack trace, it looks like the creature_manager has not been instantiated.
This might indicate no Creature Asset was loaded or assigned to it.

Thanks