UE4 crash on creating "Creature Animation Asset"

Discuss issues pertaining to the various game/web runtimes of Creature here.
skooma

UE4 crash on creating "Creature Animation Asset"

Post by skooma » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello, I've been watching "Getting Started with the Creature UE4 Plugin" tutorial and my UE 4.23 crashes when i'm trying to upload JSON file in my Creature Animation Asset. I made that JSON using another tutorial on your youtube channel.

Report:
Unhandled exception

UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!CreatureModule::Creature::LoadFromData() [c:\users\skooma\documents\unreal projects\demo_project\plugins\creatureplugin\source\creatureplugin\private\creaturemodule.cpp:955]
UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!CreatureModule::Creature::Creature() [c:\users\skooma\documents\unreal projects\demo_project\plugins\creatureplugin\source\creatureplugin\private\creaturemodule.cpp:818]
UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!CreatureCore::LoadCreature() [c:\users\skooma\documents\unreal projects\demo_project\plugins\creatureplugin\source\creatureplugin\private\creaturecore.cpp:693]
UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!CreatureCore::InitCreatureRender() [c:\users\skooma\documents\unreal projects\demo_project\plugins\creatureplugin\source\creatureplugin\private\creaturecore.cpp:359]
UE4Editor_CreaturePlugin!UCreatureAnimationAsset::GatherAnimationData() [c:\users\skooma\documents\unreal projects\demo_project\plugins\creatureplugin\source\creatureplugin\private\creatureanimationasset.cpp:229]
UE4Editor_CreatureEditor!UCreatureAnimationAssetFactory::ImportSourceFile() [c:\users\skooma\documents\unreal projects\demo_project\plugins\creatureplugin\source\creatureeditor\private\creatureanimationassetfactory.cpp:88]
UE4Editor_CreatureEditor!UCreatureAnimationAssetFactory::FactoryCreateNew() [c:\users\skooma\documents\unreal projects\demo_project\plugins\creatureplugin\source\creatureeditor\private\creatureanimationassetfactory.cpp:41]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_AssetTools
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

chong

Re: UE4 crash on creating "Creature Animation Asset"

Post by chong » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Hello,

That is strange, I will do more testing on my side but so far it loads the jsons just fine. You could try other sample jsons from the plugin github as well.

Thanks

skooma

Post by skooma » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:02 pm

I used a sample JSON from github and it worked. But then I tried to do the same thing with "Creature Actor" instead of UE default "Empty Actor"(because in the Creature Dragon UE4 Tutorial you use creature actor) and now it crashes when I click "play"
Maybe i need to prepare my character differently? In dragon tutorial you don't go deep about that so i did it the way you show in "getting started" video.

chong

Post by chong » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:14 pm

Oh so I need to make a note for this, CreatureActor is deprecated. You should use a regular actor and add a CreatureMeshComponent to as a BP. That is the correct way to create and use Creature character in UE4.

Thanks

skooma

Post by skooma » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks a lot!
Btw I tried to make my JSON again the same way i did before and it still crashes UE4. I made another one without using your procedural animation options and i didn't click "create animation loop for game engines" and now this JSON works well. I guess it's something wrong with some of this features, but i have no time to test it right now so i just wanted to let you know about that.