bone - mesh relation

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
joriooo

bone - mesh relation

Post by joriooo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:55 am

hi Chong,
I apologise in advance for such a noob question, but I just can't figure out what am I doing wrong.
After meshing, rigging and weighting I end up with no "direct attachment" between the bones and dedicated meshes:

(this is already evident in the test mode not only in animation process)
Do you have any advice how could I address this issue?

Thank you so much!
Best!

chong

Re: bone - mesh relation

Post by chong » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:46 pm

Hello,

It looks like your bones are not weighted or associated with the mesh. You can start off by watching the tutorials on Bone Weighting, especially the part where you can assign regions to the bones. By default, the bones are associated with all regions.

joriooo

Post by joriooo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:35 pm

thank you for such prompt reply Chong,

I know it kinda looks that way, but the problem is that the bones are weighted and the proper regions are assigned to them.

you can see on the screenshot (on the right) that bones are actually moving/affecting assigned parts of the arm. the unusual thing is that this happens with sorth of a 'delay'.
each assigned part moves 'slower' than it's bone, resulting in dis/placement of the bone way outside of the assigned region in order to achieve the desired position of the region.
(in this particular case bones were manualy weighted, with every bone affecting 100% of it's assigned region).

you can check out this screen recording for a better representation:
https://we.tl/t-oEQxpJg8zz

thanks again!

chong

Post by chong » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Hello,

From the video it looks like the bones are not properly weighted. You have weights from other bones also influencing the lower bones resulting in this effect. You probably want to check your weighting to fix this this issue.

joriooo

Post by joriooo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Thank you Chong,
the problem was that all regions were weighted also by the root bone of the character... the only bone I didn't check... ofcourse :roll:

Thank you for your help, you're the best!