4k resolution makes some windows too small

Discuss issues pertaining to the Creature Animation Editor here.
furrfire

4k resolution makes some windows too small

Post by furrfire » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:27 am

I recently upgraded to a 4k display, and noticed that some of the windows (like export or the tips window on starting a new project) are cut off so that you cannot see everything on them. The export window can be dragged to fix, though it would be nice if I didn't have to manually do it every time. The tips window however cannot be dragged to resize, but thankfully I don't need that anymore (I think?) :lol: .

chong

Re: 4k resolution makes some windows too small

Post by chong » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 pm

Hmm... will need to investigate since I don't have a 4K monitor. There is a size setting you can adjust on the Preferences menu. Not sure if that helps.

Thanks

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 am

It doesn't help for this problem. I had already played with that setting cause in 4k, every creature window was really small that first time I tried it. I am very thankful for that ui slider btw, works really nice.

Today I noticed another small issue that comes with 4k, and this applies to at least 2 windows within creature.
On the meshing controls window (mesh mode)
and regions window (rig mode)
In 4k resolution if you click the last item on the list (furthest to the bottom) it will scroll back up a bit which can make it a slightly tricky to double click to rename it (the mesh\region you have selected just barely shows because of this).

(edit- forgot to mention this is only a problem if you have enough meshes\regions on the lists to go beyond the bottom of the window)

None of these 4k related problems prevent me from doing work thankfully, and like everything else, creature looks great in this resolution. I'll keep you updated on this thread if I find other problems related to 4k.

chong

Post by chong » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:30 am

Sent a quick test download link to you via private msg.

Just a much larger startup Creature Project window. Does this remove any cutoffs from what you see now?
Again it's just a test setup.

Thanks

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:47 pm

EDIT- I apologize, some windows like export do show everything if I size the ui way down. I figured I needed to make everything bigger to fit things properly but it was actually the opposite and I didn't test that properly. So the export window and others DO show everything okay, IF the ui scale is set small enough. The problem with this though is that they will have pretty small text like this so I can imagine you'd want to adjust this for 4k mode someday to fine tune it so viewers don't need to squint so hard.
Right now the only way to have text big, is to have windows that cutoff and need drag resizing every time you restart creature. Usable, just a little annoying.

Please note however that there are actually a few windows that cannot be fixed this way, and even this new test version you had me download doesn't fix them.

The tips window is still a little cut off (window is not tall enough).
The spine to creature converter tool window, and this cannot be resized. Where it says FPS I can only read a 6 (window is not wide enough). I assume it will function okay if one just "selects all" in fps box and types in whatever number they want.

I'll definitely keep you updated if I find anything that needs urgent fixing.
Last edited by furrfire on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm

I did a little more testing to confirm something...

This new versions loads up MUCH faster in 4k then the old one. The old version was taking about 15-30 seconds to boot up, whereas this new test version is only a few seconds. :D

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:46 am

I found another window in 4k that isn't displaying correctly- the pose capture library (I can only see the very tops of the first 4 buttons at the bottom). I can just barely click them, but I can't read what they are, so I just pick one and hope it's the one I want.

This window can't be resized as far as I can tell.

chong

Post by chong » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:19 am

Do you have any scaling factor set on your Windows 10 4K display? ( Like 120% or 200%? )

Thanks

furrfire

Post by furrfire » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:23 pm

I forgot all about that setting- it was set at 200% which it says is recommended. I just tested at 100% and everything in creature shows correctly, though everything is very small and hard to read.
Interestingly, when I changed it back to 200% the creature ui windows still display correctly, but exiting out and restarting creature once again has the windows cutting off buttons again.\

edit-
I also notice that everything gets TOO big when changing scaling to 100% after I open creature- then back to 200%. Every ui window shows correct but very cramped for space. Restarting creature fixes that but of course you are back to the buttons cuttoff issue.

chong

Post by chong » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 am

Thanks for the info, will take a look to see what is possible for that window.

Thanks